Dulles, VA: Bacteriologist/Microbiologist - Aerobiology Laboratory
On Jan 29 2018
We don’t just like what we do at Aerobiology, we love it! We are looking for the type of Environmental Bacteriologist who loves analyzing bacteria as much as we do. Someone who loves the challenge of finding it, identifying it, and going the extra mile to help our customers understand why in the world it is in their space. Spend one day with our amazing staff and you will see that not only do they love what they do, but they enjoy teaching and training others that have the drive to learn more. This is a great opportunity to join a company that is the gold standard in environmental analysis.
This Environmental Bacteriologist job is open to candidates with bacteriology experience in reading traditional cultures of skin, respiratory and wound cultures, however, we prefer to have someone with experience in analysis of environmental water, surface, and air samples. The candidate must be proficient in the setup of samples using standard SOPs, including serial dilutions, concentrating of samples, and plating. The individual should be familiar with pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, coliforms, E. coli, Legionella pneumophila and other clinically significant bacteria and fungi. Having experience in analyzing viable and non-viable fungal samples is an added plus. This individual may also be involved in providing clients with meaningful information and resource sites to assist them in understanding laboratory analysis and may participate in proficiency testing programs to demonstrate the ability to produce accurate results.
NOTE: It is not necessary to know how to analyze all of the samples types above, but experience in basic analysis of bacterial cultures in an environmental or clinical laboratory is necessary. This must be reflected in your work experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Preparation and analysis of environmental samples for bacteria and fungi.
• Reading and identifying fungi in spore trap and tape samples
• Will perform standard and non-standard laboratory procedures including fungal spore analysis (spore traps and direct examinations)
• Record data in our proprietary LIMS
• Maintain and troubleshoot equipment
• Perform QA/QC practices as specified in our QA/QC manual
• Maintaining the QA/QC Program and following Standard Operating Procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, or related life sciences.
• Two (2) or more Microbiology courses should have been taken in pursuing your degree
• The individual will possess knowledge of bacteria, isolation methodology, and identification procedures from either the clinical or environmental side
• Minimum of 2-3 years of environmental OR clinical laboratory experience
• Proficiency in high volume data entry with excel and/or computer database
The Bacteriologist will provide documented 3 to 6 months on-the-job training set up and analysis of bacterial and/or fungal cultures. Training records for this individual will include documentation of ability to identify genus/species of bacteria, yeast and filamentous molds. Training records to document training of relevant diagnostic procedures, e.g., gram stain, oxidase, biochemical reactions, morphological identification of fungi must be available. We will accept previous training and work experience with demonstration of mastered skills.
• All hires will need to confirm their eligibility to work in the United States by participating in the USCIS e-Verify program.
• Candidates will be required to participate in a pre-employment drug and background screen.
• Bona fide college/university transcripts will be required. Further details will be provided at time of interview.
Aerobiology Laboratory Associates was established in 1997 to meet the specific needs of indoor air quality specialists and industrial hygienists by providing responsive and cost effective environmental microbiology laboratory services. Aerobiology Laboratory’s focus has remained constant: dedication to the highest quality scientific standards and a passion for our clients. It is this level of commitment that has gained Aerobiology the reputation of being a leader among indoor air quality laboratories.
Aerobiology Laboratory Associates is a privately-owned company with its company headquarters located in Dulles, VA. We also have AIHA accredited locations in Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Pennsauken Township, NJ; Huntington Beach, CA and Fort Lauderdale, FL. Our Supply Center is located in Morrisville, North Carolina. Sales Headquarters is located in San Diego, CA. We are also opening a Service Center in New York City that will receive client samples for distribution to our laboratories.
Our benefit package includes Medical, Dental/Vision, Free Life Insurance, Free Accidental Death Insurance, six (6) Paid Legal Holidays yearly, Vacation, Sick Leave, two (2) Company paid holidays yearly, and matching 401(k) to all full-time employees. We also offer a wide selection of voluntary benefits such as FSA, HSA, short-term disability, and more.