We don’t just like what we do at Aerobiology, we love it! We are looking for an Environmental Microbiologist who loves analyzing fungi and bacteria as much as we do. Someone who loves the challenge of finding it, identifying it, and going the extra mile to help our customers understand why in the world it is in their space. Spend one day with our amazing staff and you will see that not only do they love what they do, but they enjoy teaching and training others that have the drive to learn more. Come and reap the rewards with a company that is the gold standard in environmental analysis.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE IN ANALYSIS OF ENVIRONMENTAL WATER, SURFACE, AND AIR SAMPLES – SPECIFICALLY BOTH VIABLE AND NON-VIABLE FUNGAL SAMPLES. This Environmental Microbiologist position encourages those with mycology and bacteriology experience in reading traditional cultures of skin, respiratory and wound cultures to apply. The candidate must be proficient in the setup of samples using standard SOPs, including serial dilutions, concentrating of samples, and plating. The individual should be familiar with clinically significant bacteria and fungi and with pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, coliforms, E. coli, and Legionella pneumophila. Having experience in analyzing viable and non-viable fungal samples is required. This individual may also be involved in providing clients with meaningful information and resource sites to assist them in understanding laboratory analysis, and may participate in proficiency testing programs to demonstrate the ability to produce accurate results.
NOTE: It is not necessary to know how to analyze all of the sample types above, but experience in basic analysis of fungal and bacterial cultures in an environmental or clinical laboratory is necessary. This must be reflected in your work experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Receiving and processing high volumes of samples quickly and accurately
- Preparation and analysis of environmental samples for bacteria and fungi
- Reading and identifying fungi in spore trap and tape samples
- Recording data and generating reports in our proprietary LIMS
- Cleaning, maintaining, and troubleshooting equipment
- Performing QA/QC practices as specified in our QA/QC manual
- Maintaining the QA/QC Program and following Standard Operating Procedures
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, or related life sciences.
- Two (2) or more Microbiology courses should have been taken in pursuing your degree
- The individual will possess knowledge of bacteria, isolation methodology, and identification procedures from either the clinical or environmental side
- Minimum of 2 years of environmental or clinical laboratory experience in a WORK environment; OR
- In lieu of the above, we would consider someone with advanced laboratory coursework or research in a university setting relating to the job responsibilities.
- Proficiency in high volume data entry with excel and/or computer database
The Microbiologist will provide documented 3 to 6 months on-the-job training set up and analysis of fungal cultures and/or bacterial. Training records for this individual will include documentation of ability to identify genus/species of bacteria, yeast and filamentous molds. Training records to document training of relevant diagnostic procedures, e.g., gram stain, oxidase, biochemical reactions, morphological identification of fungi must be available. We will accept previous training and work experience with demonstration of mastered skills.
- All hires will need to confirm their eligibility to work in the United using e-verify.
- Candidates will be required to participate in a pre-employment drug and background screen.
- Bona fide college/university transcripts will be required. Further details will be provided at time of interview.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not call the lab. Our HR Department is offsite and we review all resumes that are received.
Aerobiology Laboratory Associates, Inc. has provided microbial indoor air quality services for over twenty years. Since its inception, Aerobiology has grown, adding lab locations and services while gaining industry recognition through key certification and accreditation bodies including the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory Accreditation Program (EMLAP), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) ELITE Program, and the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP). We have AIHA accredited environmental labs in Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Pennsauken Township, NJ; Huntington Beach, CA; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Fort Worth, TX; Melville, NY; and Downers Grove, IL Our headquarters lab is located in Dulles, VA. We have a Supply Center located in Morrisville, North Carolina; and a Service Center is located in New York City that receives client samples for distribution to our laboratories.
In 2020, Aerobiology was acquired by Pace Analytical® Services, LLC. For decades, Pace has been the trusted source for quality environmental and life sciences lab testing and analysis and the resource for scientific lab staffing, regulatory, and equipment services. Pace delivers better science to businesses, industries, consulting firms, government agencies, and more through the largest, American-owned and nationally certified laboratory network.
We offer a benefit package that includes company-subsidized Medical, Dental, and Vision, FREE Life Insurance, FREE Accidental Death Insurance, HAS, FSA, eight (8) Paid Legal/Company Holidays yearly, two (2) paid Floating Holidays (dependent upon hire date), Vacation, Sick Leave, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement, employee referral program, and Employee Assistance Plan among other benefits.
Please visit the website below for further information about Pace Analytical Services LLC