Pace Analytical Services, LLC., a leading environmental laboratory, has been dedicated to making this planet better for over 40 years. We are looking for a Technical Specialist/Manager to join our team at our Huntington Beach, CA location. If you are interested in a career opportunity with an outstanding and growing company, we are interested in speaking with you.
Why Work at Pace:
Mission Statement: Working together to protect our environment and improve our health.
- Benefits start first of the following your start date!
- Competitive salaries
- Medical, Dental, & Vision
- 401K Retirement Plan with a company match
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Paid Vacation, Sick, Volunteer Time & Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Health savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life, disability and voluntary benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition Program
Technical Specialist/Manager is responsible for providing or overseeing the analysis, administration and oversight of comprehensive policies, programs and practices in area of assignment; provides feedback and guidance to employees and management, using advanced to expert professional and technical knowledge of functional areas or related equipment, testing, and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Serves as a lead to staff to include providing work direction, guidance and training.
- Prepares and analysis of environmental microbiology samples (spore traps and direct examination (tape lift, Bio tape, Bulk or swab)
- Ensures that the laboratory maintains compliance with the policies and procedures documented in the Quality Assurance Manual.
- Overseeing or reviewing, completing and processing comprehensive types of forms, documents, databases, and related materials and information.
- Submits all QC data reports as directed and in a timely manner
- Provides advanced to expert analysis, interpretation and counsel to staff, management, and functional leaders regarding area policies, programs and practices; involves comprehensive operations and leading implementation and change.
- Provides comprehensive research, feedback and decisions to resolve management and employee questions and requirements; assists with receiving customer feedback and coordinating resources and responses as required.
- Analyzes and reviews advanced to expert operations, results, feedback and related information on an ongoing to as needed basis to determine trends, draw conclusions, interpret findings, and presents results, proposals and recommendations to management.
- Ensures the accuracy of comprehensive tests, equipment, actions, procedures and operational databases, reports, and related details through audits, queries, and operational reviews; works with teams to resolve discrepancies.
- Recommends measures to improve testing procedures and/or use of equipment.
- Assists with developing or participating in area or cross-functional project or program objectives, which includes proposed budgets, timelines, materials, personnel, and other project requirements, receives direction and presents information to management.
- Interprets and applies department policies and procedures and assists with applicable laws, rules, and regulations; receives guidance within these areas as needed.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the department’s service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
- Promotes and supports the overall mission of Pace Analytical by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with customers and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
This job supervises all non-manager laboratory staff in the facility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, or related life sciences; advanced degree desired
- At least three (3) years of supervisory and/or management experience with knowledge of laboratory analyses, laboratory operations and management techniques in a commercial environmental laboratory
- At least five (5) years analytical experience involving analysis of spore traps, direct microscopic exam of bulk/swabs/tapes, viable bacterial, fungal cultures, and/or preparation and analysis of environmental samples using PLM and PCM
COMPETENCIES To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness toothers’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership – Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness – Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue.
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Advanced to expert principles, practices and techniques in area.
• Comprehensive understanding of the administration and oversight of area programs, policies and procedures.
• Advanced to expert methods to resolve area problems, questions and concerns.
• Comprehensive understanding of applicable area laws, codes and regulations.
• Understanding of comprehensive testing tools, equipment, and calibration.
• Computer applications and systems related to the work.
• Principles and practices to serving as an effective project team member.
• Methods to communicate with staff, coworkers, and customers to ensure safe, effective and appropriate operations.
• Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Performing advanced to expert professional-level area duties in a variety of assigned areas.
• Overseeing and administering comprehensive and various area functions.
• Training others in policies and procedures related to the work.
• Serving as a team member and the development and management of projects.
• Operating in a both a team and individual contributor environment.
• Interpreting, applying and explaining applicable laws, codes and regulations.
• Preparing advanced to expert functionals reports, correspondence and other written materials.
• Using initiative and independent judgment within established department guidelines.
• Using tact, discretion and prudence in working with those contacted in the course of the work.
• Performing effective oral presentations to large and small groups across functional peers and the department.
• Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of individuals contacted in the course of the work.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a lab and office setting, use standard office and lab equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects; vision to read printed materials and computer screens; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a lab and office setting. Work is subject chemicals, fumes, gasses, noxious odors and related items in a lab setting.